Seasons are changing and veld fires in South Africa are going to be part of our lives. As it gets hotter and trees are drying up it means we will be seeing more of veld fires. Furthermore, we need to take into consideration that they are a risk to our lives, properties, livestock, and others. We are not forgetting the environment on its own including polluting the same air we breathe. One thing we should understand is that we will always have these fires as long as we have dry seasons. Another thing is that veld fires can burn for many days and even put the lives of fire-fighters at risk.
We have seen the worst scenarios when it comes to veld fire in the sense that many people have lost their lives. Moreover, the cause of the fires in most cases is not known, however, they can start in many ways. It is either from lightning, spontaneous combustion, or rather human activities.
Here are some of the things that cause veld fire in South Africa:
- Cigarette butts
- Power-line arcs
- Children playing with matches
- Land clearing
- Deliberate fire setting
Even though veld fires may occur everywhere but there are big cities that are more affected like Johannesburg and Cape Town. There hasn’t been much rain lately and that causes the dryness. Further, when the dryness of the vegetation coupled with the effect of winds creates perfect conditions for runaway veld fires. That is why it is important to be always cautious during these seasons. People should learn how to be cautious and control the fire once it starts more especially farmers and those who are most affected.
Six tips on how you can prevent veld fires
The only way to prevent and control the fires from happening is by knowing more about the danger it causes. Once you understand that being ignorant will put someone in danger then you will excel in preventing the fire. Additionally, there are many ways you can prevent veld fires but here are the easiest tips;
- Prepare fire breaks on their side if there is a reasonable risk of veld fires.
- Have the necessary equipment, protective clothing, and trained personnel to extinguish these fires.
- Avoid throwing cigarette buds on the ground.
- Have grass beaters handy to extinguish the fire.
- Always have the emergency number handy to call emergency services 10177 on Telkom landlines or 112 on your cellphones.
- Sand can be a very effective method of veld fire control since water will not be readily available.
Prana FM is dedicated to continuing to bring fire solutions in South Africa and saving more lives.